Tuesday, August 11, 2009

First day

Today was my first day back to school - a productive morning. Jose was a tremendous help this morning getting the kids ready and helping load up the Suburban so we could get going on time to Blanca's by 8:00. Dropping the kiddos off at Blanca's was surprisingly unemotional, and it felt good to be at work again, even if away from my babies. When I called at 10:30 to see how things were going, all was well. Francesca had just woken up from a nap, and Mateo was playing happily. When I picked them up at 12:45, Francesca was in her Bumbo with her sad face on, eyes were red around the edges, and Blanca told me she had been missing her Mommy and her house. The second Francesca saw me her eyes lit up and she started waving her arms around with a big smile. Mateo had greeted me happily at the door and told me about the books they were reading. He reportedly had a good morning and ate a super lunch (arroz con carne sudada), which he thanked me for. So it was a good first day back, but I'm sure glad to be home... Of course, I could have lived without watching Chester attack the baby bunnies he found in our front yard when we did get home. That incident left me slightly traumatized wondering what to do with the newly injured bunny on our lawn, but it sure has given Mateo a great story to tell!